Welcome to my creative online journal

Saturday 6 February 2010

Memory Lamp Box

Today's activity has been the hardest I've done, I've been getting through a box of tissues whilst doing it.  Didn't realise it would be quite as hard (emotionally) as it turned out to be.

I apologise for the bottom photo but it had to be taken in the dark and my camera doesn't like the dark!

It is a glass memory light box:
(showing two sides of 4)

I know this is a very personal thing, and its a bit difficult to show such a personal item, but I thought there are other people that might like to do the same thing for their lost relatives.

To make it, I used a 3" x 2"glass box with a hinged lid (this one was a charity shop find but its a bit mishapen, a bit of light escapes out the sides!), a BATTERY operated nightlight (VERY important!) - I got 4 for £4.99 with spare batteries from Cargo - pictures, all sepia toned, some with added text and Spray Vellum Glue (not shown).

All you do, once you've prepared all your photos the right size, is to spray the vellum glue (recommended, it doesn't show) on each of the pictures and stick them onto the inside of the glass.  Pop in a nightlight through the lid and you're done.

This is the other side:
(Apologies for this picture, and the light gap doesn't look as dramatic as this, the camera picked it up!)

The original idea for this was on Martha Stewart's site,  Link HERE, She suggested using vellum which I tried but my printer REFUSED to print on it.  I used ordinary thin photo paper and it still worked. 

If you do make one, do make sure you've got a box of tissues handy!


qwiksave x


PS  Oh, I forgot to mention, you don't have to make it a Memory box, you could put celebration pictures  in it instead!

5 comments:

Perfect Balance Marketing said...

What a lovely idea - it's beautiful. x

Nicky Stevenson said...

Thank you Crafting in the beach hut.

Its All Fiddle Fart said...

What a lovely idea xx

Unknown said...

what a lovely idea and something that is a lovely reminder - its like your loved ones still light your life!!!

Paula x x x

Nicky Stevenson said...

Thank you Helen and also Paula. That's a nice way of looking at it Paula.

qwiksave x

Related Posts with Thumbnails