Welcome to my creative online journal

Thursday 10 June 2010

Puzzle Block, Bootcamp Day 5 and Shopping

..but not necessarily in that order!  In fact, I'll start with Creativity Bootcamp Day 5. The Random word theme today was 'Grow'.

I have chosen this compostition I made today of my older son Ryan:
He was a 'Millenium Baby', born in January 2000 (the 11th) and the 'Daily Mail' had a scheme, where they planted a tree in fields all over Britain with the names of babies born in January 2000.  This page (which I would have combined better if I knew how to use Photoshop) shows the little tree we planted when he was 5 months old.  We remember the day well, there was a howling gale, wind, rain and lots of parents with babies in this field planting trees!  As you can see, he is now 10 years old.  We have visited the tree, but not recently, must go again soon.

There was another part of the challenge where we were asked to listen to some music from our teenage years.  I've done this while washing up today and loved singing along to The Carpenters and Elton John, David Cassidy and The Osmonds. 

****

Shopping?

Quite a bit today:
We have a Provocraft Circle Knitter (wow!), a 'How to Knit' kiddy book (for me!), a 'Made with Paper' book, Some JML FixIt which bonds metal, wood, glass, concrete! (should be good for crafting...),
a puzzle block which I am using for my craft tonight (details to follow) and some lovely lace to use in my scrapbooking.

The craft I made tonight (the personalised puzzle blocks) involved lots of complicated and precise measuring.

Here is a picture of it in progress:
 

and I finished it off in daylight the next day:


As you can see, I have covered all the sides of the cubes with family pics that we can mix and match to make silly combinations.  The blocks weren't all the same size which made the measuring tricky.  I will be using some inkjet spray varnish to protect all the pictures.

Another little tip I used:

Remember those old children's blocks I bought a while back?
 I covered one with sandpaper to use as a sanding block.

See you tomorrow,
qwiksave

4 comments:

Corinne Cunningham said...

It's so hard to believe that the millennium babies are... 11!!! Crazy! :)

Kandi said...

I didn't know about the trees planted for the Millenium Babies, that's a lovely thing to do.
I bought that kiddies book on how to knit last year for me!
Kandi x

Carmen said...

Really intrigued with what you might do with that puzzle block :P

Love your take on Grow. Phoebe was born in 2000 - it seems to have flown by so quickly!

Nicky Stevenson said...

It's coming, it's coming. I had to finish it off in the daytime and I encountered some technical problems (I messed up my measuring :-o!)

It's a bit like that cube-y thing you made but not quite as good!

Nearly there now...

Related Posts with Thumbnails