Welcome to my creative online journal

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Secret Painting Ingredient

The weather this afternoon here was absolutely lovely, perfect for going out in the garden and painting some journal page backgrounds.

I started off trying some watercolour with salt experiments.  I had three different types of salt and discovered that the 'Saxa Coarse Sea Salt' gave me the best results (below right, purple).  The other two I tried didn't give me a very satisfactory pattern so I started to paint random colours over them.  Then I thought, what else could I try that might react with the watercolour paint?

Into the laundry cupboard I went and found this:
...which, to my delight, gave a great resist effect, together with a very ponky flowery smell!

Incidently, I love this Pelikan paint palette, the colours go on bright and stay bright, even when they've dried:

You just can't beat crafting outside on a lovely sunshiny day! ☺

Thanks for looking and for any comments,
Nicky

3 comments:

Carmen said...

My zombie book recommends window cleaner with acrylic backgrounds. I haven't tried it yet but I must!

Cool backgrounds :) I have some rock salt somewhere...

theboelemas@aol.com said...

Oh fab backgrounds - I keep meaning to try to salt with ink sprays, just might be motivated enough to try it now! x

K said...

I never thought of trying DIFFERENT types of salt! Fab experiment hun
xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails