Welcome to my creative online journal

Sunday 29 January 2017

An easy Do-It-Yourself Window Technique

(...if you already have frosted patterned windows)
All you need are these:
ChalkOla Premium Wet Wipe Markers

..which are water soluble, so you can change your colour scheme at any time - or even remove it all together, if you wish.  

The window I was working with, as I mentioned, had an ornate frosted glass pattern on it already, and it's original Victorian, I think!  
All I had to do to make this beautiful pattern was to prime the pens (shaking each of them for less than a minute and pressing them gently onto a paper surface to get the ink flowing) and then draw over each of the lines of the existing glass pattern.
(Arty picture of my hand drawing over the pattern)

If lines were a little 'squiffy' (as in that pic above) it was very easy to wipe them away with a small wet cloth (or cotton bud) and to redraw them.
(Above) This was how it looked early on. Here I was avoiding the 'difficult' sides.

TIP: Prime all your pens at the start then you can just pick up any pen and use it rather than having to stop and prime each one when you want to use it.  I learned this on youtube and found it useful.
The colours do dry fairly quickly, so I didn't find myself smudging them as I worked, which was handy.  The frame around the window also helped me to keep my hands away from the ink.

An 'in progress' shot:
In the daytime the colours looked very 'girly,' much to both of my teenage boys' dismay.  The one boy also said that the design was too 'hippy!' (he,he).

And this was it finished:
But the surprise was when it got dark!  The colours looked so different!:
This was the same window, the exact same colours, but with the night sky behind them.  What a difference!

(I think I prefer the night version better, I'm not a girly, girl either. {grin} )

Disclosure:  I should point out that I was sent two sets of these pens to review here on this blog, so thank you to the company that sent them to me. I found them very easy to use and the colours are really vibrant.  I would definitely recommend them to anyone wanting to do a similar project.

(Unfortunately, these pens are out of stock at Amazon UK at the time of writing, hopefully they will be back soon).

Thank you for stopping by today and reading this MASSIVE post.
Back soon with some more Creative Flourishes activity,

Nicky 

3 comments:

Katie said...

This is awesome

Nicky Stevenson said...

Thank you for popping by, Katie and also for commenting. :)

Carmen said...

I'm only just seeing this post - slowly slowly getting back into the blogging loop again. I love this project - especially how it looks at night! Gorgeous!

Come back! Post more! I've done it - now you.

Carmen x x

Related Posts with Thumbnails