I am still progressing with my 'arts and crafts to do NOW' list (see previous posts) and the next activity on my list was Gelli Printing.
Just a few of the many pages that I made this time.
To make the textures I used objects I found around the house. The circles on the matchbook notebook on the very top left picture (in orange and yellow) were actually made with a shower suction mat that I (purposefully) bought from TK Maxx to use for this type of printmaking.
When I completed my gelli printing I decided that I wanted to layer them even more. I love seeing elements of previous textures and colours peaking through. The problem I had was technical. How do I get my top layer to only cover the parts I want it to without obliterating the interesting bits of the previous layers? So, rather than gelli printing another layer on top (which I could have done if I'd thought about it a bit harder) I spread some paint directly from the tube on to my craft mat and spread it on to the print with a spatula. This meant I could control where the paint went and how much. Finally, I wiped it around with a baby wipe to cover a wider area.
I was wondering what I could do with the prints I had made when I remembered this book I had got (also from TK Maxx), which has some great ideas of things you can make with a small amount of paper or indeed, just an envelope!
So, using their instructions and template I decided to make these matchbook notebooks.
Well, I found myself some appropriately coloured buttons and then discovered that they didn't have shanks on their backs to wrap the string around. So I improvised:
I cut a hama bead in half with scissors (this was remarkably easy to do) and stuck each of the halves on to each of my buttons with a plastic glue. I also used the plastic glue to stick the buttons on to the notebook and also to add beads on to the ends of the string. This picture shows the back of the books:
Hope to see you next time when I will be showcasing my next list item, Art Journaling.